FM’s guest, Kendra Thornton, shares a recipe:
I found an incredible meal at Lahaina Grill Restaurant in Lahaina, Maui and managed to get the recipe:
Maui Onion & Sesame Seed Crusted Seared Ahi
Ahi Ingredients 4 (6 oz.) Thick Ahi tuna steaks, “sashimi grade”
- 12 oz. Dehydrated Onons, crushed
- 1 tbsp. raw sesame seeds
- 16 oz. Maui onions, sliced and caramelized 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Salt and pepper
Steps for Seared Ahi
- Begin by slicing the onions and cooking them with 2 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a sauce pan over medium/high heat. Stir until they caramelize.
- To cook the seared Ahi, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet.
- Roll the Ahi filet in the dehydrated crushed onions and raw sesame seeds.
- Cook quickly on both sides until browned on outsides.
Vanilla Bean Jasmine Rice Ingredients
- 2 cups fish or clam broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Tahitian vanilla split bean
- 1 cup premium Jasmine rice
Steps for Jasmine Rice
Begin by cooking the rice with vanilla bean, shallots, butter and clam broth over medium heat. When it boils, cover it and lower the heat. Let it simmer until all of the liquid is fully absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
Ingredients for Apple Cider-Soy Butter Vinaigrette
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 ounce soy margarine, chilled and cubed
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 ounce chives, finely chopped
Steps for Apple Cider-Soy Butter Vinaigrett
- Mix the vinegar and cider in a sauce pan over medium heat. Reduce to 1/2 cup.
- Just before serving, add cold butter and margarine in small quantities while mixing over medium heat. Place in a blender and pulse for just a second or two.
- Season to taste
Time to Serve
- Place the vanilla jasmine rice in the center of a serving platter.
- Place Ahi on top or rice, top with a small amount of caramelized onions.
- Slowly pour sauce over rice and fish.
- Garnish with chopped chive.