By Vatcharin Bhumichit
Photography by Margtin Brigdale and Somchai Phongphaisarnkit
Published by Laurel Glen, San Diego, California
The beautiful book is also a cultural experience when you read about gracious Thai entertaining. Actually, Thai cuisine uses a narrow range of ingredients. However these complement the main ingredients so, each recipe becomes distinctively unique.
The author gives you the chance to make or purchase red, dry or green curry paste. Each takes about 8 minutes and are mashed using a mortar and pestle. Likewise he also goes into some detail to distinguish rice (khoa) in its three forms: Boiled, Crispy and Sticky/Steamed Sticky.
This handsome book carries you from its interesting introduction and a section on Thai ingredients on to Appetizers, Salads, Soups, Curries, Main Dishes, Noodles & Rice, ending with Fruits, Desserts and Drinks. Here’s a preview of some of the recipes:
· Oysters with Spicy Dressing (Hoy Nang Lom Manow) is simply oysters dressed with lime, sugar, garlic and green chilies.
· Broiled Spicy Sliced Steak (Nua Nam Tok) is a combination of lettuce, cucumber, radish, cilantro broth fish sauce, lemon juice chili power, sugar shallots and brown rice.
· Steamed Scallops with Garlic (Hoy Nung Kratiem Jeow). This is a mixture of oil, garlic, chilies, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, scallions and cilantro.
· Pork with Fruit and Peanuts (Ma Ho), combines tangerines, oil, garlic, shallots, fish sauce, sugar, chilies and roasted peanuts.
· Mango Salad with Cashews (Yam Manuang) is fruit and nuts mixed with green chilies, shallots, sugar, garlic, and lemon.
· Cucumber and Shrimp Salad (Yam Taeng Gwa). Try this by mixing in shallots, red chilies, tomato, fish sauce, lemon juice, sugar and roasted sesame seeds.
· Corn and Shrimp Soap (Gaeng Chuc Koapot) is broth with creamed-style corn, an egg, fish sauce, soy sauce and cilantro.
· Ground Port and Mushroom Soup (Gaeng Chuc Moo Sap). Mix peppercorns, garlic, cilantro roots, broth, dried mushrooms, fish sauce, light soy and scallions.
· Beef with Asparagus and Oyster Sauce (Nua Pad Nam Man Hoy) is garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar and white pepper.
· Fried Rice with Chicken and Curry Powder (Khoa Pad Karee Gai) calls for curry power, rice, soy sauce, fish sauce scallions and onion.
Enjoy new adventures in Thai cooking for your family and friends.